Saturday, September 27, 2008

Mobility!


Well, today marks a new milestone with Evan. He can officially crawl. Although he isn't as fast as he'll soon be, he was able to crawl a few feet to get a ball he adores, and then later we used Julia as bait, and he happily crawled to her to try to grab onto her hair.

For a while now he's been able to manuever around the room by sitting up, leaning forward, stretching, sitting up, etc. But this is a whole new ballgame for us!

Anyway, I wanted to write about something that happened last week in Zanesville while we were waiting for our power to return. One evening we were out at dinner and (of course) Evan had to nurse at the exact moment I wanted to eat my dinner. In an effort to stall him and keep him occupied, I gave him a wheat cracker to bite on. I wasn't completely sure about it (I had given J teething biscuits as a baby, but can't remember when they were actual crackers), but I had read about a friend of mine that was giving her son a cracker and he's a little younger than Evan. I thought I'd just try it out.

Well, shortly after putting it in to his mouth, he figured out how to take a bite out of it. I'm carefully watching him to make sure he's alright with it, and his face starts turning red. Then it starts turning even redder and he stops breathing. I start freaking out inside. I think back to my baby CPR classes, and swipe my finger in his mouth to clear out any cracker. He is still red and I'm about to grab him, put him upside down and start doing the baby heimlich and just at that moment...I hear a grunt. He was not choking. He was pooping.

Oh my Lord. I think I got 100 more gray hairs from that moment. I didn't even care at that point that although I had a diaper with me, I had no wipes. I just was so relieved. That Evan... :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's hilarious!! I can imagine how scary that must have been at that moment. At least you feed your kid. I've just been nursing Ethan and after 3 nights of him wanting to feed continuously my mom asked me if I had started the rice cereal, of course I didn't think of that. Second child, what can I say :) Andrew got that at 5 months and Ethan's almost 6 months.