Thursday, June 26, 2008

Recipe for a Good Breakfast

If you read that headline and thought, "Wow! I'm looking for a good recipe for breakfast! I'm going to read this post!" -- then you don't know me very well.

If you read that headline and thought, "She's being sarcastic yet again. Let's see what happened today..." -- then we've obviously been friends for a while.

So here's my story....in the morning, my darling J sometimes struggles with eating breakfast. I let her choose what she wants, but it usually ends with a bowl of soggy cereal out of which she took maybe two bites. She'll ask for a yogurt, take a few bites, and leave the rest in the container. This was a source of tension during the school year and I finally gave up "forcing" her to eat and quickly realized that she takes after my husband in the ability to not eat breakfast and not have it really affect her. Me on the other hand would love to walk down my stairs each morning to a full hotel buffet spread...but I settle for a bowl of cereal or oatmeal.

Anyway, this morning J wanted to sit with me in the office while I checked my email, and let's be honest....played with Facebook! She sat at her little white table and ate her ENTIRE breakfast. It was a novelty to be with me in the office, but I think the outfit really helped:

Note the completely tattered princess dress and the pink fleece slippers from winter that only once summer came around did she show any interest in wearing them. So I learned that this is the "recipe" for a well-eaten breakfast -- dress up clothes, old slippers, and a table and chair her size. This is something I can handle. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip. Matthew won't eat his breakfast half the time so maybe a princess dress & pink slippers will help him too! :-)