Friday, July 18, 2008

Yellow Legal Pads

Growing up, I have clear memories of waking up during summer break to find a little note my Mom wrote to me on a sheet of paper from a yellow legal pad, stuck to the refrigerator. It would have a little note on it for me, followed by a dreaded list of chores that had to get done before I was able to do anything with my friends that day. So, my bike ride, friend's house, or trip to the pool would be delayed by some time until I did my duties.

The list for the day might have included vacuuming the rugs, sweeping the kitchen floor, cleaning up any dirty dishes, cleaning the bathroom, and maybe dusting or something. At the time this list seemed endless. How was I suddenly the maid of the household? Isn't there someone I could call about child slave labor?!?!

Now that I am taking care of the household by myself, I can now see where she was coming from. I wasn't doing all the work like I had thought back then, I was doing such a tiny portion -- just what she was able to delegate to me when I was 10 or 11. I had regular chores to be done every day, but in the summer months I had added duties each day -- and no wonder -- I was making more of a mess!

I do not own a yellow legal pad of paper, nor have I since I have been an adult. But I do catch myself fantasizing about when Julia is old enough to read the words..."Clean your bathroom." "Vacuum the downstairs and sweep the kitchen floor." "Empty the dishwasher." My favorite -- "Fold and put away the laundry." I am sure she will hate finding these sheets of paper stuck to the refrigerator as much as I did. But at least she won't have to walk 4 blocks to school...up hill...in the freezing cold and snow. :)

1 comment:

Sweet Pea Chef said...

I am glad to know that I am not the only one who had chores to do on certain days before doing anything else. I thought it was so cruel. Now, if my *entire* to do list was merely:

"Windex the sink and mirror in the two bathrooms"
"Empty the garbage cans"

I would cry out of gratitude and relief.

Ah, those were the days.